by Bianca Barragan with Curbed LA
LA Live’s getting a new neighbor: a W Hotel. Shenzhen Hazens, developer of ahuge mixed-used project that’ll rise along Figueroa between Olympic and Eleventh Street in South Park, announced today that the 250-room hotel in their project will be a five-star outpost of the bougie hotel chain (part of the Starwood Hotel and Resort group). The Downtown News reports that the will be housed in a 30-story tower at the northeast corner of Eleventh and Figueroa, which will be constructed at the same time as a 30-story condo tower on the northwest corner of Eleventh and Flower.
That first phase of construction is set to begin in 2017, with the W Hotel opening in 2019. The second phase of construction would see the demise of the Luxe Hotel and the rise of a 42-story condo tower on its site. The completed project would have 650 condos in addition to those 250 hotel rooms.
This hotel joins several other huge hospitality projects in and around LA Live: the 755-room, 38-story expansion of the JW Marriott/Ritz-Carlton; the 350-roomHotel Indigo set to operate out of the Metropolis megaproject; and the 183-room, Roberto-Cavalli-styled, five-star hotel in megaproject Fig Central. Downtown in general is experiencing something of a hotel boom these days, but the city’s been pushing to get more rooms in the area around the LA Convention Center in particular.
· W Hotel Coming to South Park Mega-Project [DN]
· Revealed: Third Megaproject That Will Transform South Park [Curbed LA]
· South Park Megaproject Metropolis Getting 18-Story Boutique Hotel Indigo[Curbed LA]
· LA Live’s Marriott/Ritz-Carlton is Getting a 38-Story Expansion [Curbed LA]
· New Look at Massive South Park Megaproject Fig Central and Its Roberto Cavalli Hotel [Curbed LA]